What Happens to My Child if He Is Found Guilty?

What is Going to Happen to My Child if He Is Found Guilty?

Actually, your child cannot be found guilty because juvenile proceedings are consider civil in nature.  Instead, children are said to "have engaged in delinquent conduct" if the jury or judge finds beyond a reasonable doubt that the child committed an offense.  This may seem like just semantics but it is a distinction that will benefit your child down the road.  This is especially true when your child goes to apply for a job.  Most job applications have the question as to whether or not the applicant has been "convicted" of a crime.  Because a juvenile has not been convicted, he may legally answer no.

The end result of a disposition hearing if a child is found to have engaged in delinquent conduct can range from a 6 month probation with the child remaining in the home to commitment in the TJJD (Texas Juvenile Justice Department).  In some serious felony cases, the child may even face transfer or certification to stand trial as an adult in the criminal district court.

Your juvenile defense attorney can give your more information for your particular case based upon the offense charged and the child's history of conduct.  To contact a board certified Juvenile Law Attorney, you can call Houston Lawyer Jim Sullivan at 281-546-6428.

Serving clients throughout Texas, including Houston, Galveston, Angleton, Pearland, Alvin, Sugar Land, Bellville, Clear Lake, Conroe, Pasadena, La Porte, Missouri City, Texas City, Friendswood, Richmond, Rosenberg, Corpus Christi, Brownsville, San Antonio, Laredo, El Paso, El Campo, Austin, San Marcos, Dallas, Denton, Plano, Lubbock, Midland, Anahuac, Beaumont, Hempstead, Huntsville, Liberty, The Woodlands, Humble, Tomball, League City, Bellaire, Deer Park, and Katy and other communities in Austin County, Brazoria County, Chambers County, Colorado County, Fort Bend County, Galveston County, Harris County, Jefferson County, Liberty County, Montgomery County, Waller County, Walker County and Wharton County.